7,300 Sec 3 students to have taken part in OBS programme by end-2017: MOE

7,300 Sec 3 students to have taken part in OBS programme by end-2017: MOE

Launched by MOE and the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth, the MOE-OBS Secondary 3 Programme held at the Outward Bound Singapore's premises at Pulau Ubin kicked off on Jan 9, 2017.

OBS programme

SINGAPORE: By the end of 2017, about 7,300 Secondary 3 students from 28 schools would have taken part in the five-day MOE-OBS outdoor education programme, said the Ministry of Education (MOE) in a media release on Thursday (Feb 23).

Launched by MOE and the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth (MCCY), the MOE-OBS Secondary 3 Programme held at the Outward Bound Singapore's (OBS) premises at Pulau Ubin kicked off on Jan 9, 2017. Since then, more than 1,000 students from five schools have taken part.

Last year, MOE announced its National Outdoor Adventure Education Masterplan to promote the holistic development of students through outdoor education.

Through the programme, students will get opportunities to interact with one another and work together to overcome outdoor challenges, such as navigating through treks in Pulau Ubin and sailing between Pulau Ubin and Sembawang on the mainland.

To date, more than 600 teachers have been trained to conduct outdoor education activities for their school camps, said MOE.

The ministry has also worked with the National Institute of Education to strengthen pre-service training for Physical Education (PE) teachers. Earlier this year, it extended an existing one-day outdoor education workshop to a full module to better equip PE teachers to teach outdoor education.

In addition, a new OBS campus built on Coney Island will be ready from 2020. The five-day outdoor education programme will then be rolled out to all secondary schools, and will see about 45,000 youths taking part each year.

Source: CNA/dl

Bookmark